13. Association with the Unreal (Ramana, Guru Vachaka Kovai PDF p. 59)
“Know Self, which is eternal Bliss. Cherishing the ephemeral body as well as trying to know Self is just like using a crocodile as a raft to cross a river.”
116. Know that the thick veiling of a jiva’s forgetfulness about all the troubles caused to others or by others during his innumerable past lives is due to the Grace of God [for his own peace of mind].
117. “When the remembrance of even a few miserable instances in this lifetime can make one’s life a hell, should not forgetfulness alone be loved by all?”
I once believed that everyone had to like me,
but now this belief is no more.
I once believed I had to be the best person
I could be in order to be free, but no more.
I once believed that I had to first do everything
I needed to do in the world,
and only when I had done that and I was satisfied
could I turn my attention to Self-discovery.
I once believed that.
97. “The body exists only in the view of the mind, which is deluded and drawn outwards by the power of Maya. In the clear view of Self, which is a single vast Space of Consciousness, there is no body at all…”
110. “If one enquires to the very end, “Who is this jiva, (individual soul) ‘I’? it will be found that it is non-existent, and Shiva will be revealed as being nothing but the Supreme Expanse of Consciousness.”
source: Ramana, Guru Vachaka Kovai
Q: When a man comes to you for advice and you give him advice, wherefrom does it come and by what power does it help?
Nisargadatta: His own being affects his mind and induces a response.
Q: And what is your role?
N: In me the man and his self come together.
Q: Why does not the self help the man without you?
N: But I am the self! You imagine me as separate, hence your question. There is no ‘my self’ and ‘his self’. There is the Self, the only Self of all. Misled by the diversity of names and shapes, minds and bodies, you imagine multiple selves. We both are the self, but you seem to be unconvinced.
This talk of personal self and universal self is the learner’s stage; go beyond, don’t be stuck in duality. Continue reading
Koans become like a living entity and begin to take over your perception of everything, shifting that perception just a tiny bit…